Bobby Bones brings comedy, musical guests to TPAC

Photo Courtesy of BobbyBonesComedy.com

Story by Tayhlor Stephenson / Staff Writer

Country music’s go-to radio personality Bobby Bones is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades, including comedy, which he brought to Nashville with his “Funny & Alone Tour” Saturday night with a sold-out show at James K. Polk Theater in the Tennessee Performing Arts Center.

Of course, music still played a key role in Bones’ comedy show: The first of two musical openers, Runaway June, welcomed the audience with their song “Train Whistle.”

The female trio reciprocated a round of applause with, “Well, Bobby told us you’d be nice, but he didn’t tell us you’d be that nice.”

Runaway June continued their five-track set with a cover of Keith Urban’s “Somebody Like You” and their debut hit single “Lipstick.”

Walker Hayes, the second opener for Bones also performed a five-track set, and he did so as a one-man band with a pedalboard at foot.

“All these songs are fun to perform, but they are super fun to craft,” Hayes told the audience.

He wrapped up his set with his newly released single “You Broke up With Me” just before singing a song written about his daughter titled “Lela’s Stars.”

Finally, Bones took the stage. His opening joke was an undeniable dig at country music’s Florida Georgia Line, but it proved successful with laughter and major applause from the audience. He said he wanted to be cheered for the way Florida Georgia Line would be if they announced they were retiring tomorrow. Bones then walked offstage and returned to a roaring audience.

Bones’ musical influence showed as he welcomed Eddie, digital content producer for “The Bobby Bones Show” to the stage. Together, they sang their original song “Hugs” followed by “Tortilla” — a parody they wrote to Blake Shelton’s “Sangria.”

Bones provided jokes aplenty, but music definitely served as the background of his 60-minute set.

As part of Bones’ juggling act and joke, Grammy Award-winning songwriter Zach Crowell came onstage. But, Crowell wasn’t the only one Bones shared the stage with. Songwriter Ross Copperman was also invited. He did an on-the-spot performance of “World On Fire.” The Kenny Chesney and Pink duet is one of many songs Copperman has written.

“I have a place where I can shine the light on fantastic people,” Bones said as he welcomed rising country star Carly Pearce onstage.

Pearce sang her song “Every Little Thing” and was met with applause just before the night came to an end.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Marissa Gaston email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.