Luis Morillo Diaz earns C-USA Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

MTSU’s Luis Morillo Diaz took home the honors of C-USA Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week Tuesday morning for his outstanding play this past weekend in the MT Shootout at the Adams Tennis Complex.

The Santiago, Spain native won four sets in singles play and is currently boasting a three-match win streak.

Coming into the fall season, Morillo ranked just outside of the top 100 in the nation (113) in singles by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA). He lived up to his hype to0, capturing nine straight matches to start the year.

Although the spring season has been slower for the sophomore, he still sits at 7-11 overall and is tied for a team-high 3-1 against C-USA opponents after failing to tally a win in that regard this time last year.

“Luis had a great fall and started off the spring season with a couple of tough matches where things didn’t go his way, but he kept on doing his thing in practice,” assistant coach Daniel Leitner said in a press release by MT Athletics. “He’s so tough in the matches; he competes so hard. This is just the hard work paying off for him.”

This is the first C-USA honor of his two-year career.

Morillo and the team travel to Virginia this weekend for matches against VCU and William & Mary. Both games are set for 2 p.m. CT.