Alyssa Hope Baker: From Arkansas to Tennessee

Photo courtesy of Alyssa Hope Baker

Recognized as Music City, U.S.A, many artists make the move to Nashville, Tennessee, in hopes of pursuing a music career. Country-pop artist Alyssa Hope Baker shares that dream.   

Self-taught in guitar, piano and ukulele, Baker has what it takes to stand out in a crowd.

The 17-year-old recently graduated high school, and she’s ready to break into both the music and acting businesses. But her move from Fort Smith, Arkansas, to Nashville did not revolve around her alone. Her father has been working with Southern gospel acts since 2013, and his sights are now set on the country gospel music scene.

“We had the idea that we would sell our (self-written) Christian music and I would just be here and perform,” Baker said. “Because that’s what I love to do: perform.”

Baker and her father have become a team, but like any other team they sometimes have their differences.

“We know each other’s mindset and which buttons to push,” Baker said with a giggle.

But that’s just how Baker likes it. Afterall, they’re family.

“Whenever you’re writing or collaborating music you have to be vulnerable and you have to be open, but I think it’s easier to do that with someone you know,” Baker said.

Baker is currently collaborating with her father. They are recording an EP in Fort Smith, and they hope to sell the songs to other artists to gain attention.

“That’s the first EP we’re working on,” Baker said. “The next one will be next year’s project and it will be bigger than an EP, more of a small album.”

Baker hopes to further her acting career by someday earning a spot at the Hendersonville Performing Arts Company, where she previously auditioned for a role in “A Wonderful Life.” Although she was rejected, she’s not willing to let that stop her from trying again in the future.

“I definitely look forward to auditioning with other groups around Nashville,” Baker said.  

Until Baker can land an acting gig, her love for music consumes her life. She continues the process of recording tracks for her EP, and she also records cover songs and shares them via YouTube.

Baker’s first cover was a dark take of Bee Gee’s iconic track “Stayin’ Alive.” Viewers responded positively to it, and her fanbase only seems to grow.

“I kind of turned it to a grungy 90’s feel, like acoustic,” Baker said of the cover song.

With tremendous determination, the sky’s the limit for Baker. Whether she’s acting, singing or recording songs with her father, Nashville is where she belongs, and she’s making that known.

For more information about Alyssa Hope Baker, visit her Instagram  and Facebook.