SGA members take part in commemoration ceremony, pass resolutions aimed at student connection

This article was updated on Oct. 9, 2017 at 1:55 p.m. to correct misinformation regarding the frequency of the ceremony and those involved. Sidelines regrets the error. 

Photo and story by Ethan Clark / Contributing Writer

Members of Middle Tennessee State University’s Student Government Association commemorated the former presidents of SGA from the past five years at a dedication ceremony on the Student Union Commons on Thursday afternoon.

The event was part of a ceremony where former SGA presidents, dating back to 2012, had their name inscribed on bricks surrounding the commons area. The former presidents, all now graduated, gathered at the ceremony. The presidents in attendance included Coby Sherlock, James Lee, Andrew George, Lindsey Pierce Weaver and Madison Tracy. Some of the graduates had to travel long distances for the event.  Lee, the SGA president from 2013 and 2014, came from Indiana, where he now works as a sales representative for the Hershey Company.

“I challenge everybody here today to extend a warm welcome to anybody you see wearing an MTSU logo,” Lee said. “Just know that they might have come from the exact same place that you guys call home today.”

Current SGA President Courtney Brandon estimated that around 60 people showed up for the event.

“Just seeing all five of the (former presidents) being really excited about the event made us feel a lot better about it,” Brandon said. “They were all excited, especially in their speeches. So, I think that was awesome.”

Prior to the ceremony, SGA members voted on a couple of resolutions aimed at making the group more connected to the wider student population. The first resolution, sponsored by Sen. Nathan Watkins, would allow MTSU’s school paper, Sidelines, to live-stream the SGA meetings every Thursday afternoon. The second resolution was sponsored by Sen. Kobe Hermann and would call for the creation of a link on the SGA website that students can click on to be sent to a directory of their senators’ contact information. Both resolutions passed.

“I’m going to be working diligently with the board and with IT department to get (the directory) up there,” Hermann said. “It shouldn’t be too difficult, and I really don’t think it’ll take that long at all.”

SGA meets every Thursday afternoon at 4:30 in the Parliamentary Room of the Student Union Building.