Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Table Talk: Burger Republic joins Murfreesboro

Photo and story by Tayhlor Stephenson / Lifestyles Editor

It’s not like Murfreesboro needed another burger joint, but that’s exactly what we got last Saturday when Burger Republic officially opened for business. But hey, nobody’s complaining.

Since dining at Burger Republic’s original location in Nolensville, I’ve been anxiously awaiting the Murfreesboro opening, which follows openings in Nashville’s The Gulch and Mt. Juliet. So when word got out that the wait was over, I immediately decided I would soon venture out to the Fountains at Gateway, which serves as the home to many new Murfreesboro businesses, including Burger Republic and their neighbor, Nothing Bundt Cakes.

The restaurant definitely sports a sleek design. It also accommodates those who would rather dine outside with cozy looking outdoor seating arrangements, complete with gas fires. As inviting as the scenery was, the weather was a bit too chilled to sit outside, so I continued through the front doors.

Before I could be seated, I was told that I would have to wait 30-45 minutes for a table for two. A little disappointed — especially since I could easily spot vacant tables down the isle — I agreed to the wait time.

To my surprise, the wait actually ended up being a mere 10-15 minutes, which left me puzzled as to why each customer, including myself, was told there was a 30-45 minute wait. But I didn’t have much time to ponder the inconsistency, because I now needed to review the menu in order to choose an entree.

The 96 Burger includes bleu cheese, honey-balsamic glazed mushrooms, onions, bacon, shoestring fries and garlic-horseradish. (Tayhlor Stephenson / MTSU Sidelines)

Due to an overload of burger options, I confided in my waitress, who served my every need in a timely manner. She suggested I try the 96 Burger, which includes bleu cheese, honey-balsamic glazed mushrooms, onions, bacon, shoestring fries and garlic-horseradish aioli. It sounded pretty appetizing, so that’s what I went with for $11.50. For my side, I chose the chef vegetable: green beans.

My burger bursted with flavor each and every bite I took. Oh, and it was also huge, so much so that I had to cut it in half to even attempt to eat it. The green beans, on the other hand, were overly bland; even the salt and pepper provided on the table couldn’t help the nonexistent taste.

I also tried the Taco Truck, comprised of taco spice, lettuce, tomato, onions, jalapeño, cilantro guacamole, tortilla strips, sour cream and habanero jack. This burger was also $11.50, but it wasn’t nearly as flavorful as the 96 Burger. But, the fries that accompanied this burger satisfied my buds, unlike the green beans.

The Taco Truck prides itself on taco spice, lettuce, tomato, onions, jalapeño, cilantro guacamole, tortilla strips, sour cream and habanero jack. (Tayhlor Stephenson / MTSU Sidelines)

I could’t leave Burger Republic without trying one of their many shakes. Here’s a fun fact: Burger Republic partners with Nothing Bundt Cakes in the creation of a bundt cake-inspired spiked milkshake referred to as the NBC, which includes Red Velvet Bundtini and whipped vodka.

Being the cheesecake lover that I am, I chose the Raspberry Cheesecake shake, comprised of raspberry puree, graham cracker and cheesecake. The taste was good, but it wasn’t great like I was hoping it would be.

Overall, Burger Republic slightly disappointed my expectations, but maybe that’s just because I have been awaiting their arrival for quite some time.

On a star rating system, I give Burger Republic 3 out of 5 five stars.

Table Talk is a foodie’s paradise where you can find true, honest opinions on the most talked-about places in town. For more Table Talk coverage, click here.