Women’s Basketball: Lady Raiders cruise to first exhibition victory

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sidelines Archives

The Middle Tennessee State Lady Raider women’s basketball team played their first exhibition game against the Tennessee Wesleyan Bulldogs and dominated on their way to an 89-34 victory.

The Lady Raiders jumped out to a quick lead in the first quarter and led 30-12 heading into the second. Rebecca Reuter started off 3-3 from the field and tallied one rebound, one assist and one block to begin the game.

In the second quarter, Middle Tennessee held the Bulldogs to only six points in the entire quarter. Jess Louro scored nine points in the quarter, going 2-5 from three and 3-6 overall from the floor.

Alex Johnson got off to a great start in the third quarter with 15 points for the Raiders, and when all was said and done, Middle Tennessee cruised to victory over the Bulldogs by a final score of 89-34.

The Lady Raiders’ exhibition games will prepare them for Vanderbilt in the coming weeks, as they will officially begin the season in Nashville. Head coach Rick Insell wants the team to be ready.

“We’ve got to be better defensively, and we’ll have to rebound the ball,” Insell said. “It’s hard to get your team to not play down sometimes, that’s the biggest thing you got to face.”

The Blue Raiders will host another exhibition game against Trevecca on Thursday, Nov. 2 at  5:30 p.m.