Women’s Tennis: Zehnder finds success at home for Middle Tennessee

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines

The Middle Tennessee women’s tennis team played their first home match of the season over the weekend at the ITA Ohio Valley Regional tournament, held at Adams Tennis Complex in Murfreesboro.

Their tournament was marked by successes on the singles side of the tournament, while also experiencing a few struggles on the doubles.

Maria Josefina Zehnder was the hero of this tournament as she advanced to the fourth round of play, further than any other Middle Tennessee player. Her weekend ended there, as she fell to third-seeded Emma Kurtz from Vanderbilt.

Karen Kermet also found success on the court this weekend, making it to the third round before falling to tenth-seeded Mariana Humber of Louisville.

Middle Tennessee finished the tournament with an overall singles record of 15-11.

On the doubles side of the tournament, Kermet and Zehnder paired up and won their first match against Belmont. Unfortunately, they lost in the next round to the second-seeded Vanderbilt Commodores. They would be the only pairing to find success at the tournament, as the other teams fell just short of advancing in close matches.

Overall for the tournament, Middle Tennessee went 3-3 in doubles.

What’s next?

The Blue Raiders will be back in action on the weekend of Oct. 27-29 when they attend the TCU Fall Invitational.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.