Men’s Basketball: Walters suspended for two games for ‘failing to live up to standards’ of MTSU basketball

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines

On Wednesday, Middle Tennessee head basketball coach Kermit Davis announced that starting senior center Brandon Walters will be suspended for the exhibition game against Arkansas Fort Smith on Thursday night, as well as the season opener against Trevecca on Friday, Nov. 10.

According to Davis, Walters was suspended for “failing to live up to the standards of the Middle Tennessee basketball program.”

While it will be a big loss to the team for the first two games, Davis knows that everyone must follow the rules, and that it will be a learning experience for Walters.

“Obviously the people who follow our program closely understand the high standards we expect our student-athletes to live up to everyday both on and off the court … Brandon did not meet those and will have to sit out to start the season.”

Walters is expected to return from his suspension on Nov. 13 when the Blue Raiders travel to take on Ohio Valley Conference foe Murray State. It is assumed Walters will fill in the role of starting center this season after starting two games last season and logging 11 minutes off the bench.

Despite his limited role last season, Walters still averaged 4.9 points per game and 3.3 rebounds per game while leading the team in field-goal percentage at 60.3 percent. According to Sports-reference.com, Walters averaged 17.6 points and 12.1 rebounds per 40 minutes of play.

In Walters’ absence, expect Karl Gamble to get the start at center for the exhibition against Arkansas Fort Smith and Trevecca.

Follow MTSU Sports Reporter Elijah Campbell on Twitter at @E_Campbell3.