Review: Maroon 5 delivers star-studded album with ‘Red Pill Blues’

Story by Jordan Trice / Contributing Writer

The veteran pop-rock band Maroon 5 is back with a bang three years after their fifth studio album “V.” The well-accomplished, seven-man group returns to the scene with “Red Pill Blues,” a fresh, crisp and vibrant compilation of upbeat pop sounds that listeners have come to know and love from the multi-Grammy winning group.

Just over an hour long, the 15-track album does long-time fans a service by delivering what is expected of them.

The star-studded album features big names such as Future, SZA, A$AP Rocky and a few others. The band has a history of collaborating with artists, both inside and outside of their genre, so the versatility and wide range of styles and sounds stays fresh with each individual song. Maroon 5 is obviously no stranger of welcoming features, and they continued their routine in “Red Pill Blues.”

The album’s first single, “What Lovers Do,” features SZA and radiates an interesting style and sound. Its staccato beats and vibe that feel as though you’re listening to a house record ignite a fun and groovy tune that can be enjoyed in a crowd and by yourself.

Due to its tempo and and breaks of Chillstep track — that undoubtedly creates one of the most diverse songs on the album — “Wait” proves to be unique. Meanwhile, A$AP Rocky accompanies frontman Adam Levine in “Whiskey” with soft piano keys, simple guitar chords and a bit of auto-tune. In the last minute of the track, Rocky combines rap with the slow-moving tempo of the song, which is no easy feat.

While making the albums and performing the concerts as one, Levine is undoubtedly the leader and frontman who makes Maroon 5, Maroon 5. In addition, the band has seen plenty of success and has been the recipient of several awards, and with a solid album like “Red Pill Blues” they are set to win even more. 

The first leg of the “Red Pill Blues” tour is set to kick off on May 30, 2018, in Tacoma, Washington, with tickets going on sale for the multi-city tour on Nov. 4, 2107.

“Red Pill Blues” is available on Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play and other musical streaming services. The album is also available at your local retailers.