Men’s Basketball: King wins Player of the Year, trio of Blue Raiders earn All-Conference Honors

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines

Seniors Nick King and Giddy Potts were each named to a Conference USA All-Conference Team on Monday, while sophomore point guard Tyrik Dixon was named to the All-Defensive Team.

King racks up postseason accolades

King was named to the C-USA First Team, along with Marshall’s Jon Elmore, Old Dominion’s Ahmad Caver, UAB’s Chris Cokley,and Western Kentucky’s Justin Johnson.

Conference USA also named him the 2017-18 C-USA Player of the Year. King has been a difference-maker since coming to MTSU as a graduate transfer, averaging 21.2 points per game and 8.4 rebounds per game in his only season as a Blue Raider.

King made an impact on the Blue Raider record books as well, breaking Kim Cooksey’s 32-year-old single-season scoring record by scoring 637 points in the regular season.

The recognition doesn’t stop at the conference level however, as King was named to the Associated Press’ All-American team. King was joined by Duke guard Grayson Allen, West Virginia guard Jevon Carter, Wichita State point guard Landry Shamet and North Carolina forward Luke Maye on the Third Team All-American squad.

With the All-American honor, King made history as the only Blue Raider in the history of the program to be named as such.

Potts named to second team All-Conference

Potts was awarded All-Conference honors for the second straight season, this time for the second team. Potts was joined by Marshall guard C.J. Burks, North Texas guard Roosevelt Smart, Western Kentucky point guard Darius Thompson and UTSA Freshman Jhivvan Jackson.

The senior guard from Athens, Alabama averaged 13 points per game on 40 percent shooting this season, while also grabbing over four rebounds per game.

Like King, Potts made an impact in the program’s history books as well. In a December tournament against Princeton, Potts broke the school record for most three-pointers made in a career.

Last season, Potts was named to the All-Conference third team and was named C-USA Tournament MVP.

Dixon given defensive honor

Dixon was named to the All-Defensive Team on Monday. Dixon is accompanied on the team by Florida International guard Brian Beard Jr., Marshall center Ajdin Penava, Old Dominion’s Ahmad Caver and UAB’s William Lee.

Dixon took his game on the defensive end to another level in the 2017-2018 season, averaging almost a steal per game and being an effective defensive presence on a defense that ranks 28th in the country in opponent points per game.

Follow MTSU Sports Reporter Elijah Campbell on Twitter at @E_Campbell3.