Oaklands Mansion to host annual ‘Free Day’ in May

Photo by Tiffany Brady / Sidelines Archives

Story by Katrina Johnson / Contributing Writer

Each year Oaklands Mansion — located approximately five minutes from MTSU’s campus — hosts a free day, and this year’s day of free fun is scheduled for May 12. By this time, spring classes will be completed, and the weather will be nice, so plan ahead and add this playdate to your calendar.

“This is a great opportunity for all of our residents and visitors to discover Oaklands,” said Oaklands Mansion Executive Director James Manning.

At the Oaklands Mansion “Free Day,” guests will have the opportunity to experience recreation of civilian events on the Mansion’s grounds from the 19th Alabama Civilian Civil War Reenactors from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

During these demonstrations, stories about civilians traveling with occupation forces will be shared, and guests will be encouraged to imagine what life would look like in and around our ever-growing town during the Civil War. There will also be a display of vintage buttons of all varieties provided by The Tennessee State Button Society. Plus, all activities, including games on the lawn, children’s dress-up and nature walks to the spring, are completely free.

Be sure to set aside some time to relax and grab a bite to eat because local food truck That’s My Dawg will be onsite to serve guests a hearty meal. Finally,  there will be a vintage baseball exhibition provided by members of the Tennessee Association of Vintage Baseball at 2 p.m. on the field along Highland Avenue.

Make sure to take advantage of this incredible opportunity and explore what Oaklands Mansion has in store for the community. After all, it is free and open to the public.

Oaklands Mansion located at 901 North Maney Avenue in Murfreesboro, and parking is located on Roberts Street.

For more information, visit http://www.oaklandsmansion.org.