Softball: Late rally pushes Blue Raiders to 5-3 victory

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines 

Story by Teylor Hines / Sports Reporter

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (28-17, 7-8) came from behind in a vengeance to beat Florida International on Sunday afternoon. After falling behind 3-0 early, MTSU used a five-run sixth inning to take home a 5-3 victory.

Panthers come out swinging early

To begin the game, FIU took a quick lead in the first frame. The Panthers put together three hits, with the third being a single down the third base from Julia Gilbert. The hit scored two runs and gave the Panthers a 2-0 lead.

FIU hit two doubles in both the third and fourth innings. In the third, Morgan Harris picked the runner off second base to end the inning. In the fourth inning however, the Panthers followed with a single to left field to score a run to take a 3-0 advantage.

Raiders late push secures the victory

With her team trailing by three runs, Kristin Uselton put MTSU back in the game with a two-run home run in the sixth inning. After Precious Birdsong walked to reach base, Uselton’s shot over the left field fence made it a 3-2 game.

Danielle Munoz evened the score at 3-3 with swing of the bat just a few moments later. She smashed her third home run of the season over the left-centerfield fence.

Middle Tennessee continued to rally in the inning, as Brooke McClure hit a single up the middle. Kirstyn Cuccia got aboard with a walk, and then the pair went for a double steal and FIU’s catcher threw the ball into the outfield. This allowed McClure to score the go-ahead run.

Lexi Cushing ended the scoring with a single to score Cuccia and bring the score to its final mark at 5-3.

The Blue Raiders will return to Murfreesboro for a four-game home stretch. The first is a midweek matchup with Belmont on Wednesday, with first pitch set for 6 p.m. at the Blue Raider Softball Field.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport.