AAUW holds coffee and conversation event, introduces new programs

Photo and story by Kristi Jones / Contributing Writer

The American Association for University Women, an organization that works for the education, financial and research equity for women, hosted their coffee and conversation event in the MTSU Walker Library on Wednesday for current and prospective members. Members of the Murfreesboro branch spoke about the values of the organization and answered questions for those interested.

The AAUW’s goal is to strive towards excellence and equality for all women in school as well as the workforce. AAUW has been nationally recognized since 1884.

“I have been a member of AAUW – Murfreesboro Branch for five years which has enabled me to meet and collaborate with women at MTSU and in the community who share the goal to make Rutherford County a better place for women and girls to work and continue their education,” Co-President of the Murfreesboro branch of AAUW, Nancy James.

Alongside James, the Murfreesboro is co-led by Barbara Scales.

AAUW is also involved in a program called “Work Smart, Start Smart,” which is an initiative specifically made to teach women how to negotiate new jobs, salaries and raises, gain confidence, and learn facilitated discussion.

The organization has events all throughout the calendar year, including a kick-off that occurred Thursday, September 12.

Women supporting women starts within a community. One of the newest events the organization will be hosting is “Women Warriors”, which will be held in early November. The women will be honoring women veterans.

“We have learned recently from someone from the VA, that is also a member, and part of the programming committee that women veterans do not see themselves as veterans,” said Vice President of Programming, Lori Stephens.

“They miss out on accolades that the men get, so we are going to honor them as well as some other groups on campus,” Stephens added.

AAUW will partner with the President’s Commission on the Status of Women, the local VA Center, and the Jim Anderson Center. Local organizations will have the chance to choose someone to honor and they will receive a plaque and other goodies.

More can be found about AAUW at https://murfreesboro-tn.aauw.net

To contact News Editor Savannah Meade, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.