Business as usual: 5th annual Business Bash helps kick off MTSU’s fall semester

The Jones College of Business held it’s 5th annual Business Bash Thursday in the Buisness and Aerospace courtyard to welcome new and returning students to campus.

Some of the event’s perks included free t-shirts from event sponsor First Tennessee Bank and one of those adorable MTSU buttons to add to student collections.

While the Business Bash might be a Connection Point event, David Urban, Dean of the Jones College of Business, says there’s significantly more to the event besides the promise of a collectible button.

“It’s an opportunity for us to welcome the students back, kind of have a little sense of community… I’ve got people from all kinds of majors coming through here. I figured I’d get some of these non-business majors to come back and get a Master’s degree, MBA, something like that from us.”

That feeling of community was certainly present, as students from a multitude of majors lined up all the way out of the courtyard for some free Jim ‘N Nick’s Barbecue and an opportunity to do some networking.

Haile Adams, a Junior and Marketing major new to MTSU, came for the food and stayed for the chance to establish connections.

“I had a professor in class that was like, ‘Hey, there’s something going on outside the BAS. I’m gonna let you guys get out early, so go get food.’”

She went on to explain the benefits of this kind of event.

“It’s been really fun networking with all the professors and stuff. You know, having them coming up to me, being really friendly, making sure that I feel at home and making sure that I’m involved and that I know where they are.”

However, among each of these aspects of the experience, Urban finds his favorite part of the event is that it’s just a darned good time.

“Everybody’s happy when they come through here, right? It’s the start of a new year, it gives us a chance to welcome students back to campus and it’s just a lot of fun.”

To contact Lifestyles Editor Brandon Black, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Life.