MTSU Spring Break Canceled

Photos courtesy of MTSU

President Sidney McPhee, of Middle Tennessee State University, has decided it is in MTSU’s staff and student body’s best interest to cancel the 2021 Spring Break.

“As we continue to extend our efforts to mitigate COVID-19 risks on campus, our attention now must also turn to the upcoming Spring 2021 semester. Among the first matters we must consider is the Spring 2021 Academic Calendar, which must be decided upon soon so we can schedule classes and begin our priority registration process,” said McPhee.

Sidney McPhee, president of Middle Tennessee State University.

McPhee informed students through an email on Tuesday that after careful consideration and several recommendations, spring break would be canceled. In light of this situation, students will receive an extra weak of winter break and an extra study day in March.

“I’m not thrilled, but I’m also not surprised,” said Liz Homic, music business major at MTSU. “I’m honestly more annoyed that we’re not starting classes until [Jan. 25]. Winter break is long enough as is. I’d rather just start earlier and get done sooner.”

Students will now resume classes on Jan. 25 and have a three day weekend starting on March 12.

Becky White, political science and pre-law student at MTSU, had some thoughts. “Personally, I’m not happy about it. I know we all wanted a spring break. I do feel like it’s a little early to make that call, but I understand university decisions need to be made far in advance.”

Disappointed, unhappy and sad are feelings most college students familiarized themselves with once they too received the news.

“If it means our community will be safer, I’m okay with it. I doubt President McPhee is just trying to ruin our year. Him and the rest of the [staff] just want to keep us safe and healthy. It sucks, but it’s a worthy sacrifice if it means people won’t get really sick, or God forbid, die,” White stated.

“Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the school’s response to Covid. Even if I don’t love every decision, it really does feel like they’re doing their best to keep everyone safe,” Homic added.

“We do not make these decisions lightly. However, in line with our decision to cancel the 2020 Fall Break, a condensed semester keeps our community focused on completing coursework and reduces the risk of spreading COVID-19 that could come from back-and-forth travel by our university community from Spring Break locations,” said McPhee, ending the email with a reminder:

“Please continue to be safe, keep others safe and remain True Blue.”

To contact News Editor Toriana Williams, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.