Saturday, February 4, 2023

MTSU Equestrian Team Commences First Meeting of the Semester

Middle Tennessee State University’s Equestrian Team had its first meeting of the semester on Monday. Open to anyone interested, they discussed the upcoming season and the expectations for the club. 

Ariel Herrin, a coach and professor at MTSU, explained the benefits of joining. Aside from making friends, members will be able to learn about horses and some will even get to compete.  

“If you are a driven person who wants to be a part of something bigger than yourself,” said Herrin, “the equestrian team is the place for you.” 

Regardless of experience, the club provides the opportunity to improve. It is made up of two parts: the club and the team.  

The club portion does not compete, but can still take lessons. However, the team does compete in competitions. While the club is open for anyone to join, the equestrian team requires a minimum of a 2.00 GPA and being a full-time student. Both groups take part in fundraisers and events hosted by MTSU.

The team has meetings every Monday at 7 p.m. at the Horse Science Center, across the street from Siegel Middle School. 

These meetings are used as a time to go over plans and information for the coming week. The team’s practices are throughout the week and usually have riders in the same skill range. 

The interest meeting had old and potential members alike. There was an emphasis on the work that goes on in the team, but also on the fun and memories that come with it. 

JoBeth Scarlett, an MTSU senior, is the president of the team. She competed in high school and wanted to continue at MTSU. 

“I think the team is a great opportunity, but it is exactly what you make it,” said Scarlett. For the senior, the team is built upon three things: “Hard work, family and talent”.

If you are interested in joining the club, you can attend a Monday night meeting or get in contact through Instagram at @mtsuequestrian

Jordan Reining is a lifestyles reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.