Saturday, February 4, 2023

Middle Tennessee women’s basketball cracks top 25 for first time since 2013-14

Middle Tennessee women’s basketball (16-2, 9-0 C-USA) capped off a 3-0 week with wins over UAB, Charlotte, Louisiana Tech, and a top 25 ranking on Monday morning. The Lady Raiders are ranked 23 in this week’s edition of the AP poll.

This is Middle Tennessee’s first time in the poll since the final poll of the 2013-14 season, where it finished No. 22. 

The Lady Raiders currently hold the fourth longest active win streak in the country at 14 and are ranked 20th in the latest NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings. 

Middle Tennessee lays claim to Conference USA’s highest scoring offense, averaging 75.2 points per game, and are holding its opponents to a conference-low 55.4 points per contest. 

“I feel really proud of our players,” Middle Tennessee head coach Rick Insell said. “It’s been one of our goals. They’ve worked hard, they talk about it every day. Now that they’ve got there, let’s see if they can stay there.”

The Lady Raiders return to action on Thursday where it will take on Florida Atlantic in the Murphy Center. 

Calvin White is the sports editor for MTSU Sidelines. If you have information for a story, you can contact him at wcwhite2002@gmail.com