MTSU honors Grammy nominated alumni Brandon Bell

Featured Photo by Stephanie Hall

Story by Stephanie Hall

Middle Tennessee State University’s College of Media and Entertainment has had multiple Grammy winners and nominees. Brandon Bell, a past Grammy-winner and alum, was honored by MTSU for his recent nomination at the Alumni Brunch.

Bell graduated in 2004 with a Recording Industry degree. He has done mixing work for Brandi Carlile’s “In These Silent Days,” which has received nominations for ‘Album of the Year’ and ‘Best Americana Album.’ The song “You and Me On The Rock” received a nomination for ‘Record of the Year.’

Bell was in the studio when he heard the nominations.

“It means a lot, just to have your work recognized,” Bell said.

Along with Brandi Carlile, he has also worked with music legend Paul McCartney.

“It was incredible. In that situation, I recorded Paul’s vocals for a Steve Martin record. We didn’t want to feel like we were crossing his time or pushing any limits with his time. We ended up working on one vocal with one song for two hours,” Bell said.

Bell, born and raised in Arkansas, always dreamed of becoming a studio musician. He originally didn’t want to come out to Nashville because he didn’t want to go into country music. However, his uncle brought him to MTSU, where he saw the array of music in Nashville.

Once here, he worked hard to learn and make connections.

“Meeting people is terrifying to me, but I made a point to be in the studio every opportunity. I would sit in on tons of sessions, just to watch people make records,” Bell said.

Now as a Grammy winner and nominee, he encourages students to work hard.

“You got to dive in deep. Start making records. You got to show up and do your best everytime,” Bell said.

MTSU is incredibly proud of Brandon Bell and wish him the best of luck at the Grammy’s.

Stephanie Hall is the Assistant Lifestyles Editor for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.