MTSU printmakers are trying to win over hearts this Valentine’s Day

Featured Photo by Kaleigh Young

Story by Kaleigh Young

The Tulip Popular Press’ is spreading the love this Valentine’s day with screen-printed cards designed by the club members. Multiple nights this week, they had four screen-print stations prepared for members and attendees in Todd Hall. Club President Kayleigh Messler carefully instructed participants in how to screen print and how to flood the ink in the design.

The four prints featured were a flaming heart, a slushy with lips, a “love tiger” and a cassette tape that read, “You and me 4 ever.” While there was a plethora of ink to choose from, the most popular colors were a glittery pink and electric orange.

If the Tulip Popular Press club sounds unfamiliar, that’s because it likely for most students. They are just now starting the club back up after a couple years have gone by without their presence. Just before and as the pandemic hit, most members graduated. As a result of the two, the Tulip Popular Press lost traction. Messler, however, is reviving the club one event at a time.

Messler is excited to see what the spring semester has in store for her club. While this week’s club sessions were all about screen printing, they are looking into doing more kinds of printmaking “parties” this semester. The club strived to provide a space with welcome and joy. Messler was everywhere in the room after her demo, rushing around helping everyone, because of her passion for the medium.

Kayla Leonard, a new member, was intimated by printing at first, but as she went on she felt more confident.

I also spoke to Moe Overholt who is a work-study student who helped design some of the cards for this week.

Tulip Popular Press doesn’t have an exact meeting time at the moment but they’re hoping to meet once a month every month. They also are encouraging everyone to join, especially students outside of the art field. Their flyers can be found in varying locations around campus, as well as on myMT.

The Valentine’s cards will be available to buy the day before Valentine’s day. Each card will sell for five dollars, while misprinted cards will be sold for one dollar.

Kaleigh Young is a Lifestyles Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.