Students “catch” butterflies in SPARE sponsored pop-up

Featured Photo by Larry Rincon

Story by Larry Rincon

A pop-up butterfly garden entertained several students in the Student Union Commons Tuesday. Middle Tennessee State University’s Student Programming and Raider Entertainment wanted to bring a unique event for students to enjoy as temperatures are warming up.

Butterfly Garden pop-up sign. (Photo by Larry Rincon).

The event ran from ten in the morning until three in the afternoon. Students were able to enter the tent with a nectar stick to attract the painted lady butterflies. Many students attempted to collect as many butterflies on their hands and body as possible. Others were happy to sit down and let the butterflies come to them.

Occasionally, the butterflies would try to escape. Other times, the butterflies would fall on the ground due to injuries. Some students spotted them and moved them to high areas away from people. Upon entering the butterfly  garden, organizers advised students to watch their steps. 

One student, Kylie Tran, said the butterfly garden was fun. Another student Richard Le simply stated that he loved butterflies.

The tent included a table with lots of information about the orange, black and white patterned species. 

Other information provided discussed their appearance in more detail. Those curious about their behaviors and lifestyles could read more into it. The pop-up provided dietary and habitat infographics as well.

Informative papers about the butterfly species. (Photo by Kendall Burrill).

The experience catered a way for students to socialize with one another while surrounded by one of nature’s creations. 

“I can tell everyone enjoyed the event,” Kera Reynolds, a MTSU student, said. “ I was already stressed out over finals, but going to the butterfly garden was the self-care that I needed.” Reynolds would love for it to become an annual event.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.