An Evening at Crash the Commons 

Featured Photo by Marshal Clemmer 

Story by Marshal Clemmer 

All of the teams competed in many games, such as endurance hula hooping. (Photo by Marshal Clemmer)

The sun is setting behind buildings casting shadows across the grassy field. A group of men build a couple of carnival rides on the field while organizers set up plastic tables on the sidewalk. As pizza and confectionery filled carts line up waiting for the tables to be set up, the rumble of air compressors fills up the inflatable attractions.  The mechanical bull gets ready for an action-packed evening.  The DJ sets up his gear on the main stage as everyone gets ready for tonight’s Crash the Commons event.  

On September 7, the annual Crash the Commons took place on the common’s grounds beside the Student Union building.

Team Macaws celebrate their win. ((Photo by Marshal Clemmer)

Five different teams consisting of Middle Tennessee State University fraternity and sorority chapters competed to be this year’s Crash the Commons championship.  

The Jaguars, Tigers, Flamingos, and Macaws. The competition consists of such challenges but not limited to dodgeball, how-low-can-you-go limbo, best group cheer and endurance hula-hooping.  

Start time was at 6 p.m. and students lined up for a free Crash the Commons T-shirt shortly thereafter. All the shirts were gone within 30 minutes.  By 7 p.m. the students devoured all the free food.  

T-shirts were given away to those who attended. (Photo by Marshal Clemmer)

However, that didn’t prevent anyone from leaving as more students arrived at the event. Some stuck around watching the teams compete.  

Many competed against each other on the Wipeout, Vertical Rush, football throwing, basketball shooting and battle axes inflatables.

By 8 p.m. the winners of the competition were announced. This year’s winners were the Macaws, followed by the Flamingos for second place and Jaguars in third place.   

Everyone danced the night away at the dance party until the last song was played. Thehe remaining party goers sang some acapella before heading out for the night.  

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.