Sorority members commemorate 50 years of Delta Sigma Theta at MTSU

Featured Photo by Jasmine Banks

Story by Jasmine Banks

Members of Delta Sigma Theta celebrated the sorority’s 50th year as a chapter on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University. Current members of the sorority held a dinner to celebrate the group’s achievements in the last half century. 

“Whether it’s with Delta or in my life, service has been one of Delta Sigma Theta’s core values that I carry in my life, and so has many others” said a chapter member. 

Cakiya Greene posing with the 50th anniversary sign for her sorority’s chapter. (Photo by Jasmine Banks).

Delta Sigma Theta is an African American sorority founded in 1913 by female students at Howard University, with a primary mission of guiding the Black community with an emphasis on mental health, education and the overall betterment of African Americans. It was founded by approximately 22 women. Currently, Delta Sigma Theta has over 300,000 initiated members and more than 1,000 chartered chapters worldwide. 

For Joy Griffin, an allied health technology major at Middle Tennessee State University, it has been an honor to join the sorority.  

“Being part of Iota Tau chapter has made me elevate in every way. It makes me want to go harder in school (and in) extracurricular activities. Because there is just such excellence coming from this chapter that I want to uphold it,” Griffin said. 

Azariah Jones, a communications major, said chapter membership offers opportunities for self-improvement. 

“Being part of the chapter has impacted my life in many ways. Breaking me out of my shell and making me realize I can do things and having my sisters in the chapter to motivate me to do more. They are my family. I just love every one of them,” Jones said. 

Micah Calvin posing with the 50th anniversary sign. (Photo by Jasmine Banks).

The 50th celebration, held at the Tom Jackson Building on campus, attracted several alumni of the chapter.  Alumna Jasmine Moore said she enjoys campus visits with her sorority. 

“Always coming back to homecoming and seeing all the [sorority] lines. That is an important part of the legacy. We always keep it going, it is always here,” Moore said. 

Longtime Delta Sigma Theta member Luvenia Harrison talked about the everlasting sisterhood. 

“As a member of the chapter, it has been my pleasure to be part of this sorority for 50 years. I have gone to all the conventions and meetings. The camaraderie of meeting sisters from around the world when we go to national conventions. It is phenomenal, you are meeting women in all kinds of professions. It is just wonderful.”