Monday, May 6, 2024

MTSU handles Stephen F. Austin with ease in the Murphy Center

Featured photo by Preston Todd

Story by Calvin White

MURFREESBORO, Tenn- Middle Tennessee’s defense held Stephen F. Austin to 36 percent shooting and Savannah Wheeler scored 25 points as MTSU crushed the Ladyjacks 72-47. 

It was an eventful weekend for Wheeler. The fifth-year senior graduated on Saturday and then scored a season-high in points on Sunday.

“Honestly, both days were great,” Wheeler said. “I’m just glad that my family got to come down and see it all and support me through everything. I’m just glad to be a Blue Raider.”

Wheeler knocked down three of her five total 3-pointers in the first quarter when Stephen F. Austin’s matchup zone defense wasn’t rotating fast enough to keep up with how quickly MTSU was passing the ball. 

When Wheeler transferred to MTSU from Marshall last season, she was known as a scorer. Now, in her second season in Murfreesboro, MTSU head coach Rick Insell has seen Wheeler’s game grow from being just a scorer to a complete basketball player. 

“She’s a lot better defensive basketball player,” Insell said of Wheeler. “She’s reading our offenses really great right now and I’m very excited about where she’s at with her game. We always knew she was a competitor. We always knew she was a great shooter but it takes more than that to be an all-around basketball player. Right now, she’s an all-around basketball player.” 

Last season, Wheeler was named to the Conference USA All-First Team after being the leading scorer on an MTSU team that won the CUSA regular season and conference tournament. Wheeler also led the charge in an eventual loss to Colorado in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. 

Wheeler was picked to be the CUSA Player of the Year by the preseason voters. MTSU’s point guard has started the season strong, averaging 14 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game through 12 games. 

Wheeler is the straw that stirs the drink when it comes to MTSU’s offense. The Lady Raiders look primed to make another dominant run in CUSA and get back to the NCAA Tournament. If they get there, Wheeler will be one of the big reasons why. 

Calvin White is the sports editor of MTSU Sidelines. If you have information for a story, you can contact him at wcw3f@mtmail.mtsu.edu.  For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com. Also, follow us on Facebook and Instagram @mtsusidelines, or on X @MTSUSidelines.