Wednesday, May 1, 2024

“Last Twilight”: Authentic representation and a heartwarming storyline

Featured photo by IMDb

Story by Larry Rincon

One of the hardest topics to come across in television is representation. Whether that is accurate representations of certain cultures, races or even the representation of mental health issues, I have a hard time finding shows that don’t make me want to immediately drop them due to the inaccuracies. However, GMMTV studio recently attempted to fill that void with one of its latest series, “Last Twilight.”

The series follows two characters, Mohk, played by “Jimmy” Jitaraphol Potiwihok, and Day, played by “Sea” Tawinan Anukoolprasert. After being incarcerated for a year, Mohk struggles to find a new job until he comes across a family looking for a caretaker for their son. Mohk ends up being hired to assist Day in his day-to-day life. Prior to this, Day had been a professional badminton player. Unfortunately, due to an accident he has slowly been losing the ability to see. 

“Last Twilight” caught my attention from the moment its trailer dropped. Their catch phrase, “One can’t see his future, and the other won’t be able to see in the future,” hooked me in. Every week I was waiting for the moment Day’s eyesight would be completely gone.

For Thai Boys Love, this type of storyline is very uncommon. I’ve become accustomed to the over-saturation of high school and college experiences, so this series was a breath of fresh air. BL as a genre is meant to showcase gay romantic relationships, yet in “Last Twilight,” romance was not the center of the story. 

Trust and co-dependence were two common themes throughout the series. Second chances become a key element to the story. Many characters needed to allow second chances to happen in order for love and growth to come their way. 

Day’s character was afraid to leave the safety of his home, and he felt judged and pitied by the people around him, including his own mother. He never liked any of the caretakers assigned to him until Mhok. Mhok was the first person to force Day out of his comfort zone because he was the only person who tried to understand what it was like for Day to live as a blind man. Day overcame his fears, and his life became happier. 

Their relationship eventually took a turn and evolved into a romantic one, but in the end the biggest problem came from their dynamic. Mohk lost many important people in his life and unintentionally became one of the people who pities Day. Mohk felt like Day needed him to take care of him, but their three year break up helps him realize that Day is capable of taking care of himself.

Aside from the story and characters, “Last Twilight” is beautiful because it portrays disability in an honest and pure way. Day’s disability shows that people like him are just as deserving of love and kindness. There is a constant reminder that people with disabilities are not helpless, and they show both sides of help: the helpful kind and the overbearing kind. 

You don’t need a disability to understand the message of this series. There are communities and groups of people that not everyone can relate to or understand, which is why television series or films like “Last Twilight” are important. 

If you want a heartwarming story, this is the series for you. “Last Twilight” is available to watch on YouTube, and if you find yourself looking for more series like this one, consider another series by GMMTV called “Moonlight Chicken.” 

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.