Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MTSU softball looks for pitching after Mead’s move to coaching staff

Featured photo by Preston Todd

Story by Jacob Burgess

MURFREESBORO, TN – In softball, the defense starts in the circle, more specifically the player in the circle. The 2023 Middle Tennessee softball team was led by a one-two punch of Gretchen Mead and Kamryn Carcich last season, but with Mead now an assistant coach on head coach Jeff Breeden’s staff, other Blue Raider pitchers will work to replace Mead by committee.

Mead regularly set the tone in the circle with 20 wins in 28 starts for the Blue Raiders, pitching 174.2 innings for the season. Carcich, being the second half of the punch threw 141 innings and won half of her starts, including a no hitter and leading the team in saves with six.

This year will be different though as Mead will not be leading the team in the circle but leading the team as a member of the coaching staff.

“The transition has been pretty seamless with the players it’s been pretty good, I haven’t had any struggles or anything. My biggest focus would be to create a challenge for batters,” Mead said of her transition.

The one-two punch that the team ran last season will stay in the past with Breeden wanting to use any pitcher that can help win games this season.

“It can’t be a one-person show, so I hope we got four or five people who can throw, so I hope we got a four or five-person show.” Breeden said.

Breeden has plenty of options with three returners, one transfer, and a first-year student.

“I know I might have to take on more innings, but I do trust my other pitchers to come in when I need it and give me the relief I can’t provide for the team. I’m really confident in them.” Carcich said.

The next two options that might see a large amount of time are Keri Munn and Claire Woods, both juniors who have been with the team for their entire college career but with different paths so far.

Munn has had a consistent career so far, pitching 50 innings in each of her first two seasons in Murfreesboro.

“A big part for me was the mental side, was building off last season is very important for us as a team, and as a pitching staff, so I think for me just building off my teammates and coming to compete every day.” Munn said.

Woods on the other hand has had an up and down career so far. In her freshman season, she threw 74 innings and was given the start in 14 games. During her sophomore season, Woods rarely pitched, appearing in just nine games.

“I did not have a good season last year,” Woods said. “I was not in it mentally or physically and over the summer I played in a summer league. I’m excited to keep working and getting better.”

Transfer pitcher Mary Martinez will be vying for a consistent spot in the rotation after transferring from Louisiana Tech where she had a strong freshman season as a consistent option out of the bullpen.

“I played against them, and just the way they had fun on the field really drew me to them. It was just an environment I wanted to be in.” Martinez said.

First-year player Jesyne Espinal will get the opportunity to pitch according to Coach Breeden who said every pitcher will get time in the circle during the team first invitational in California.

“I’m really excited, we have been working for this since August, and I’m really excited to get started and I’m ready to go,” Espinal said of her upcoming time in the circle.

MTSU travels to Northern California for the first matchups of the year on Friday and the first chance to see Breeden’s new pitching department in action.

Jacob Burgess is a sportswriter for MTSU Softball. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com. Also, follow us on Facebook and Instagram @mtsusidelines, or on X @MTSUSidelines.