Monday, May 6, 2024

MTSU baseball 2024 season preview

Featured photo by Ryan Loftis

Story by Conner Smith

MURFREESBORO, TN- Just a year ago there were so many uncertainties surrounding MTSU baseball under new interim head coach Jerry Meyers. Those doubts were quickly put to bed. The Blue Raiders not only had a winning season, but they bullied their way through the first half of the CUSA tournament and came just a game away from playing for a conference championship.

“The big goal heading into this year was to work on our depth,” Meyers said. “We had no seniors in the pitching rotation last year, so a lot of the guys pitching were freshman or underclassmen, so they had an opportunity to get a feel for the game and we’re hoping they make a jump in year two.”

Entering his second year, Meyers feels very optimistic about what’s going on in Murfreesboro and loves what his team has to offer. MTSU returns six key hitters, including five starters, and seven pitchers from last year’s team. However, it has some holes to fill in the infield. Even with those holes, the returning starters, combined with three big-time transfers, bring hope that this team can get over the hump and get back to the top of CUSA.

“The big losses for us were at second, short, and first so we’ve been trying to fill those positions,” Meyers said. “Right now, as it stands in the middle infield we’re really looking at (Clay) Badylak, (Brett) Vondohlen, Cale Vinson and Trace Phillips for that second and shortstop role.”

So far it looks like Vondohlen and Badylak will get the starting job, but Phillips has been pushing for a starting role as well. Meyers could potentially put him in the field but as of now, it looks like he will be the designated hitter.

“It’s such a surreal feeling knowing that I could potentially get some real innings and at-bats under my belt,” Phillips said. “It’s been a challenge trying to adapt to the college game, but I love it so I’m ready to go.”

Projected Starting Lineup:

Catcher – Briggs Rutter

In his first year as the starting catcher, Rutter was one of the best in CUSA and is looking to build off that success. In 2023 he batted .306 with 26 RBIs, four home runs, and 12 doubles while being one of the best defensive catchers in the conference. He also has the much-needed experience of playing in 103 games as a Blue Raider. Look for him to take the next step in 2024.

First Base – Brady Holloway

Hollway arrived in Murfreesboro after transferring from Southwest Tennessee Community College. The six feet three-inch 215-pound slugger was a monster at the plate at the JUCO level last year. Holloway batted .370 with 59 RBIs, 14 home runs, and a .478 OBP. If he can replicate those numbers as a Blue Raider, it would make for a dangerous lineup.

Second Base – Brett Vondohlen

Vondohlen was redshirted last year and did not see the field. However, he has all the skills needed to make a good second baseman. During his senior year of high school, Vondohlen slugged a .342 batting average with 45 runs driven in and added nine big flies with a good glove over at second. With all the talent he possesses plus a year to sit back and develop, Vondohlen could be the second baseman and have a solid year for the Blue Raiders.

Shortstop – Clay Badylak

Badylak is the second big transfer for the Blue Raiders this season via Frontier Community College. While at FCC, his numbers were amazing as he boasted a .355 batting average along with a whopping .486 OBP while driving in 16 runs. Badylak will thrive in a great offensive system that offers more opportunities to drive guys in.

Third Base – Gabe Jenning

Jennings had a down year at the plate in 2023, although he drove in 29 runs and slugged six homers, his average was just .215. With that being said, Jennings is one of the best defenders in CUSA and is now an experienced bat. With another offseason under his belt, he should be much better this year and could be one of the better corner infielders in the conference.

Left Field – Jackson Galloway

Galloway also had a down year last season considering what he did two years ago (.341 batting average, 32 RBIs, and seven long balls) but looks to flip the script in 2024. Last year Galloway didn’t have the season he expected due to a slow start, but he picked it up towards the end of the year and finished strong. Building off that, it’s very likely that Galloway could have another good year and replicate his 2022 stats.

Center Field – Luke Vinson

Vinson was one of the most underrated players on MTSU last year and now returns for a final season. Vinson batted over .300 and was consistently one of the best defensive and base-running center fielders last year. There is not much to say except to expect the same things out of Vinson this year as he has a great shot at making the All-Conference team.

Right Field – Eston Snider

Snider had a good year last season slashing .286 with 33 RBIs, five homers, and 17 stolen bases. Snider is in the same spot as Vinson where Meyers should expect nothing but the same and possibly an All-CUSA spot.

DH – Trace Phillips

At the DH position, there could be a plethora of guys seen this year at that spot depending on the righty/lefty matchup, but for now, it looks like Phillips will start here. The freshman from Spring Hill had a very successful high school career where he took home the Mr. Baseball award in Tennessee last year.

Other Notable Names:

On the pitching side there are a plethora of quality arms such as James Sells, Ollie Akens, Matt Schepel, Kota Sato and Chandler Alderman. Hitting and fielding-wise, Jared Vetetoe, Vinson, Bryce Symlar, Kam Johnson and Dylan Alonso provide more firepower for MTSU.

Schedule Outlook

MTSU opens the season on Feb. 16th against Bowling Green at home for a weekend series with the Falcons. The Blue Raiders have several tough road matchups at No.17 Alabama, Indiana, and No. 6 Vanderbilt to go along with a tough conference schedule.

Season Outlook

Last year the Blue Raider exceeded expectations in Meyers’s inaugural season as the head coach and were just one game away from the CUSA conference championship series. With the veterans coming back and some star-studded transfers, MTSU could very realistically find its way back as conference champions for the 24th time in school history.

“This is a very talented team,” Alderman said. “The goal is obviously to win the (CUSA) tournament and I really think we can accomplish that this year.”

Conner Smith is a sportswriter for MTSU Sidelines. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com. Also, follow us on Facebook and Instagram @mtsusidelines, or on X @MTSUSidelines.