Color The Runway seals its legacy: MUSE 2024 top 5 moments of the last show

Featured photo courtesy of Ani Woodard

Story by Shamani Salahuddin

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Color The Runway produced the final seventh annual fashion show on Friday night, drawing in a bigger crowd than ever. “Muse” showcased Black history in the present and what it will be in the future, explained host and student body president Micahi Mosby. 

The reputation and impact CTR has on campus is undeniable and everyone wanted a chance to see the excellence one last time. 

“It’s really a safe space on campus, especially the day the show happens,” said Ani Woodard, the director of the show, “I feel like CTR is that one big event everyone looks forward to every year, so it definitely sucks to see it ending.” 

From a thoroughly curated playlist featuring True Blue designers and a surprise special guest, the seventh annual Color The Runway was an impressive display of student talent. Here are the top five moments from the final show. 

Packing the house

The reputation and impact CTR has on campus is eminent and everyone wanted a chance to see the excellence one last time. Once the show started, it had already reached capacity. Student union workers stopped handing out the little blue tickets, and no one else was allowed in. But did that stop the crowd? No. People ran to the elevators trying to get in. 

“I am so sorry to anybody that’s outside this room that got dressed and ready to get inside and they did not,” said Demetrice Cortez, the co-director of the show. 

Seeing Double

One of the most memorable scenes of the night was unnamed but unforgettable. Models strutted in pairs wearing identical outfits. “Twin” by Roddy Rich and Doja Cat’s “Tia Tamera” added special attention to detail that elevated the production. To end the scene, two male models came out head-banging to “Shake Yo Dreads” by Sexxy Red. The audience erupted screaming the lyrics and hyping them up on stage. The models rocked red and black “Have It Your Way” sweatsuits designed by MTSU student Kharri Pickford.

A moving art show

After a 10-minute intermission, the next scene is introduced. The identifiable intro to Jaden Smith’s “Icon” blares from the speakers. A male model stands on a wooden crate as artist and MTSU alum Taylor Walton paints on the back of his hoodie, sculpting his masterpiece to share with the audience. While he worked on his final look, the audience admired Walton’s art as every piece was hand-painted by him. When he finished the live painting, the model stepped off the block becoming walking art down the runway. The crowd applauded in awe, amazed at what he created in real-time.   

Honoring the past 

The theme “Muse” was created with this being the last show in mind. 

Ani Woodard, the director, shared the museum concept just made sense because it pays homage to past shows. In fact, they included a scene that “highlighted scenes of past shows like a wax museum.” 

The 90’s kicked off with an acapella performance by Kay T, Alena Eden, Kay Noel and Kadiatu Gassama. The four of them together resembled a 90’s girl group especially dressed in Aaliyah inspired outfits. The runway showcased patchwork denim, nostalgic choreo, fur coats and pimp hats. 

Welcome to the Jungle featured cheetah print in a catsuit and a flowy dress. Press the Issue and Noir were joined to create a grunge, punk scene. The standout of Noir was Jasmine Dillion’s enchanting recreation of “Queen of the Damned” from the 2019 show.

Surprise Guest: NLE Choppa

The last scene ended with a model revealing the CTR flag at the end of the runway. Simultaneously, all 50 models marched out to the beat of “Run This Town” by Jay-Z, lining up around the T-stage wearing Muse hoodies. They chant “CTR” and turn towards the stage. Once the audience believes the show is over, rapper NLE Choppa enters the runway. Fans sprung out of their seats and flooded the aisles trying to get closer to the stage. The 21-year-old Memphis native wore an Amiri alabaster sequin boucle set and when he flashed a smile his grillz matched his outfit. 

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.