Early Voting: Who’s on the ballot?

Featured Photo from Makayla Sulcer

Story by Jenene Grover

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Valentine’s Day kicked off early voting in Rutherford County for both party’s primary elections, continuing until Feb. 27 before Election Day on March 3.

The main event on the ballot is the presidential candidates, specifically on the Republican ballot. On the Democrat ballot, the only candidate is President Joe Biden.

Republicans up for nomination for president on Rutherford County’s ballot include Donald Trump, Nikki Haley, Chris Christie, Vivek Ramaswamy, Ron DeSantis, Ryan Binkley, Asa Hutchinson and David Struckenberg.

Nine offices are up for election in Rutherford County.

There are 3 open seats on the City of Murfreesboro School Board, but no candidates are running on the Democrat or Republican ballot.

Rob Mitchell and Virgil Gammon are running for property assessor. Mitchell is the incumbent. A property assessor’s job is to appraise all Rutherford County taxable property in accordance with Tennessee law within their four-year term.

Greg Brooks is currently in the office for the road superintendent and is the only person on the ballot for the upcoming election. The road superintendent is in charge of day-to-day operations of the Highway Department for a four-year term, which includes maintaining roads in Rutherford County.

The remaining offices are for Rutherford County School Board Zones 2, 3, 5 and 6. All of these positions are four-year terms and oversee decisions about the Rutherford County School district.

On the Republican primary ballot, voters may select 14 delegates to represent Tennessee during the Republican National Convention in July. Each delegate has committed to vote for a specific presidential candidate.

A delegate will represent the county during the convention and vote for the candidate they are committed to for as long as possible during the process.

Potential written-in candidates for the presidential primary needed to notify the county commission a minimum of 50 days in advance. For county offices, the candidate must receive a minimum of 25 votes to be placed on the general election ballot.

Jenene Grover is the politics reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact News Editor Alyssa Williams and Assistant News Editor Zoe Naylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.