Thursday, May 2, 2024

MTSU students, staff braved storms to feed university horses

Featured photo by Preston Todd

Story by Daniel Sheehan

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

While most Middle Tennessee State University students stayed home during last month’s snow storms, one department’s responsibilities could not be put on hold.

MTSU’s Horse Science Center members endured extreme weather to care for the facility’s horses. The center, located six miles from the main campus, houses 54 horses that require daily feeding and exercise from MTSU staff and students. Each horse eats an average of four to 10 pounds of grain per day, along with a steady consumption of hay. Caring for the horses is one of the most important jobs on campus, said Rhonda Hoffman, director of horse science.

“You have to love this to want to do this,” Hoffman said. “If the horses didn’t get fed because you didn’t show up, then it’s much more serious than a random job at the library where somebody had to fill in for you.”

The facility employs six students in addition to two full time barn managers. Daily responsibilities include feeding the horses, bathing them and cleaning stalls. Inclement weather made these tasks more difficult for the staff, but the horses themselves were indifferent to the snow. Horses are thermoneutral at 40 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning that they are more comfortable in colder temperatures than humans. MTSU’s horses roamed the fenced-in property while snow fell without hesitation. This prompted several calls from concerned neighbors, said Hoffman. 

The horses’ feed supply, however, suffers from severe weather conditions. MTSU’s horses consume nearly 15 tons of hay each month, in addition to the combined six tons of grain. Rather than eat large meals, horses need to consume a consistent amount of hay throughout the day to maintain a high level of fiber in their naturally acidic stomachs.

The facility loses approximately 20% of their hay annually due to exposure, said Jeremy Carlton, horse barn manager. The department spends roughly $500 on tarps used to cover hay each year. 

“That’s our number one need,” Carlton said. “A cover for the hay shed.”

In the aftermath of the storm, ice became a major obstacle for the staff. When the temperature dropped below 14 degrees, the horses’ automatic watering system froze over. Cody Davenport, the assistant barn manager, used an ax to break through the ice. 

“You’ve only got a few minutes for them to get something to drink,” Davenport said. “And then it’s gonna ice back up.”

The staff brought the horses in when a sheet of ice covered the pasture. While horses are indifferent to the low temperatures, they risk slipping and breaking a leg. Horses with broken legs are typically euthanized, which makes prevention of falls a high priority. The horses remained indoors until the following Monday afternoon, Carlton said.

Winter is the most difficult time of year for the department. The staff hopes that the worst of the season is behind them, and looks forward to the easier days of spring.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.