Sunday, April 28, 2024

MTSU softball splits games against UNA and Bradley

Featured photo by Preston Todd

Story by Jacob Burgess

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

MURFREESBORO, Tenn – Middle Tennessee softball (5-12) faced off against North Alabama (12-5) and Bradley University (4-8) on day two of the MTSU Invitational, losing to UNA 5-1 and downing Bradley 6-2.  

MTSU’s bats went cold against UNA pitcher Alivia Wilken in the first game of the day. Wilken held MTSU to only four hits and only threw one inning where she allowed multiple hits.  

“There is always individual approach changes but you know she was throwing 58 mph the whole game, we should of been able to hit that. We didn’t and I don’t know the answer to that question, but then we got someone throwing 67 the next game and we come out here and score six runs.” MTSU head coach Jeff Breeden said.  

The one player for MTSU who could not be stopped was third baseman Julia Garcia who went 2-of-3 at the plate and scored the lone run. Garcia hit her second home run of the season on a solo shot to left field.  

Defensive mistakes put the game out of reach for MTSU early on. Starter Kerri Munn got off to a strong start but then surrendered three runs in the third inning. Defensive mishaps in the field also hurt the Blue Raiders as an error and multiple dropped balls gave UNA more scoring opportunities.  

The blue Raiders were a different team on the field and in the dugout against Bradley, with more energy radiating through everybody.  

“I think the first one we just come out with our energy that we normally have and this game right before, Ava Tepe pulled us all together and told us that we need energy, have fun again and that is exactly what we did.” Shortstop Shelby Echols said.  

A big third inning led the way for MTSU as they tallied three hits, three walks and a wild pitch to help plate four runs.  

One question answered is which pitcher was going to step up behind Kamryn Carcich. Claire Woods and Mary Martinez came on against UNA and Bradley respectively. Woods pitched four innings, allowing five hits and two runs to slow the UNA offense down. Martinez came out of the bullpen to close out the game against Bradley and did not surrender a hit.  

“The more times they come out there and consistently give us good innings then the more time they get on the mound.” Breeden said.  

Jacob Burgess is a sportswriter for MTSU Sidelines. If you have information for a story, you can contact him at jkb7z@mtmail.mtsu.edu. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com. Also, follow us on Facebook and Instagram @mtsusidelines, or on X @MTSUSidelines.