Four famous female musicians that attended MTSU

Featured photo by Alexis Marshall

Story by Danny Osborn

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Women’s History Month is celebrated every March, starting in 1987. Women’s History Month is celebrated to appreciate women and remind everyone of all the achievements women have conquered. Celebrating every March empowers women, reminding them that they can do anything they put their mind to. 

As of right now, 53% of students seeking degrees at Middle Tennessee State University are women. From nursing to criminal justice to aerospace, the list of majors at MTSU are endless. 

Some of Middle Tennessee State University’s most popular majors live under the Department of Recording Industry. Tons of women achieve a degree in music here in Murfreesboro. Some of those girls who have attended MTSU for music have made it to the big leagues. 

Here are four of the many noteworthy female musicians affiliated with MTSU. 

Amy Lee 

Amy Lee of Evanescence attended MTSU in 2000. Lee ended up dropping out after one semester to focus on her music career. Evanescence was formed back in 1994 in Little Rock, Arkansas. They created a few EP’s, but it wasn’t until their debut album “Fallen” was released in 2003 that they reached success. “Fallen” debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 141 thousand copies in its first week. Their biggest hit, “Bring Me To Life,” ended up peaking at number five on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. 

Sharon Van Etten

Sharon Van Etten moved to Murfreesboro in 1999, and attended MTSU for a year before dropping out. Her debut album “Because I Was In Love” released in 2009, and Etten has been releasing music ever since. Her biggest single, “Every Time the Sun Comes Up” has almost 80 million streams on Spotify.

Hillary Scott

Hillary Scott, who is the lead vocalist of Lady A, attended MTSU from 2004 to 2006. Scott was a recording industry student here. Although she never graduated, she went on to become a five time Grammy Award winning artist. With hits such as “Need You Now” and “American Honey,” Scott is part of one of the most popular country music groups out there.

Julien Baker

Julien Baker graduated from MTSU in 2019 with an English degree. Baker is part of the alternative group boygenius, who took home three Grammy’s back in February. While making music with boygenius, Baker creates solo music as well. Her debut album “Sprained Ankle” came out in 2015. Baker keeps climbing to the top, so she is one to watch.

MTSU is home to many talented female artists, evident in former students and those signed to student-run record label Match Records. Not to mention the powerful independent female artists that walk the campus.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.