MT Indian Association celebrates Holi, a festival of color

Featured photo by Lillian Chapman

Story by Lillian Chapman

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Middle Tennessee Indian Association celebrated Holi together with music and dance in front of the Student Union Building on March 25.  

Music and laughter could be heard from a distance while the crowd danced and threw water balloons and color powdered amongst themselves. Holi is the Hindu festival of color that celebrates the end of winter and beginning of spring. The bright colors represent life and prosperity.  

“It represents us and our culture. The color means you are trying to get all the negativity out and bring positivity inside you and make a colorful life basically,” said Lisa Patel, a MTSU student and president of Middle Tennessee Indian Association.  

Many people brought their family and friends to the festival. They danced in a circle throwing colored powder on each other with bright smiles. They played games like tug of war. The festival of color lets many people feel more in touch with their culture and religion. It brings the community together to experience this celebration.  

Attendees were covered in bright blues, greens and yellows. The powders created beautiful hues as they mixed among the students. No one was left untouched from the colorful powders. Many of the colors have specific meaning. Red is the color for passion and life, often worn for weddings. Green is the color of nature and spring and it represents new beginnings.  

Holi is a joyous event full of bright colors and passion. The enthusiasm among the crowd encourages everyone to relax and have fun together.  

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.