Featured photo by Destiny Mizell 

Story by Destiny Mizell

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Netflix and Shondaland held an exclusive Q&A to share a sneak peek at season three of “Bridgerton,” also known as Polin season.  

In typical “Bridgerton” fashion, the virtual event took place on Valentine’s Day – A date that super-fans know belongs to the series. Every Feb. 14 since 2020, showrunners and cast have gathered to raise a glass to the next batch of anticipated content. 

The latest addition to the series will revolve around the friends-to-lovers-trope established between characters Penelope Featherington and Colin Bridgerton. Penelope, a wallflower, finds herself emerging from the shadows while Colin, a third-born son seeking purpose, starts to realize what he overlooked all along. 

The Q&A began with a welcome from Julia Quinn, the author of the books that inspired the show, executive producer Shonda Rhimes and new showrunner Jess Bronwell. They were joined by Nicola Coughlan, Luke Newton, Golda Rosheuvel, Adjoa Andoh, Luke Thompson, Claudia Jessie and Martins Imhangbe to answer fan-submitted questions without disclosing too many spoilers.

(Graphic by Destiny Mizell)

Their responses baited enough subplot details to nearly fill an edition of Lady Whistledown’s Society Papers. Read on for the sensational details that fans were able to squeeze out of the upcoming release. 

Answers have been edited for clarity. 

The word around the ton is that Penelope has some new suitors. Can you tell us a bit about that? 

Coughlan: Penelope basically decides that it is time to find a husband, and Colin wants to help. So she is like, ‘Fine, I don’t love you at all. This will work out great with no problems. So she finds some suitors – some more successful than others – and one is very, very fond of her and she starts to think it could work.

Will Eloise and Penelope make up after their falling out?

Jessie: I think the level of betrayal is quite large. It isn’t made up quickly, but Eloise becomes the ultimate third wheel.

Rhimes: I think it is kind of the second love story of the season. It is one of my favorites to watch.

Will has become a staple and confidant of the ton through his bar, but things are about to change for him. Can you preview what is in store for Will and his family this season? 

Imhangbe: Will and his family are literally drawn out of the shadows. They inherit a whole new title which none of them saw coming, so it is hard for them to navigate this new title, this new position and how it impacts the family dynamics. There’s a lot to navigate, especially integrating into the ton and what that means, which is a whole new challenge.

What do you hope audiences will take away from this season?

Coughlan: I think this season is so relatable and I really hope that it will make people feel seen. I hope it lets everyone know that they are deserving of love and that it doesn’t matter who you are, it’s about celebrating who we are.

Andoh: This season makes you laugh and while you’re laughing, you’re suddenly crying; It kind of throws you around. As a viewer, I love when that happens. 

Netflix revealed that the eight episodes will be released in two parts, unlike any other “Bridgerton” season: May 16 and June 13. Many fans are saying that they will pace themselves, but Netflix’s “next episode” countdown may be too fast for objections.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.