Friday, July 26, 2024

Non-Profit to build and donate skateboards to West Nashville youth

Featured photo by Matthew Olson

Story by Matthew Olson

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Can’d Aid organized a charity event on Wednesday to build skateboards and donate them to Alex Green Elementary’s fifth-grade class.

The nationally recognized non-profit organization focuses on rallying volunteers from diverse backgrounds to help build thriving communities.

The non-profit originally began in Denver, Colorado, and Nashville is another one of their core cities.

Volunteers could enjoy a beverage as they had fun building the skateboards at Monday Night Preservation Co.

Creature Skateboards and Royal Truck Co. were the brand of materials used to for builds.

Some kids have never ridden a skateboard. Can’d Aid partners with Square State Skate to teach kids the simple basics of a skateboarding and how to ride one. Brian Ball, an ambassador and founder of Square State Skate, was at the event helping participants piece the skateboards as well.

Marti Cantrell is a former executive principal of Hull Jackson Elementary, member of Metro Nashville Schools and on Can’d Aid’s Nashville advisory board. She enjoyed lending a hand at the event.

“Two years ago, my school was the recipient of these skateboards and it was an absolutely amazing experience. We were able to get over 70 skateboards to kids over in North Nashville. So this right here is just a way to give back for what they did for my school”, Cantrell said.

Lesley Harris also volunteered. Harris works with Metro Nashville Public Schools and part of Can’d Aid’s Nashville advisory board who has work on many of bike and skateboard bills.

“It’s great! We give skateboards and bike to students who wouldn’t have them otherwise. They do a whole grade level so no one is singled out, whether they need a bike or don’t need a bike. It’s a joyful time to talk about physical wellness, getting energy and being outside.”

Donations can be made at candaid.org or through Venmo @CandAid.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.