Featured photo by Kerstie Wolaver 

Story by Kerstie Wolaver

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

On April 9, a young crowd gathered at Hop Springs Beer Park to watch six artists compete for the prize of signing onto Match Records. 

The student-run record label provides students with experience in the business side of the recording industry and in live performance, as well as giving students real-world opportunities and experience with label development services. 

The ultimate goal for students is to get a job in the music industry, so it’s essential to start making connections now, Jackson Williams, head of Artists and Repertoire, said.

The artists who performed for a spot included Tucker Wilson, Lillian Jacobs, Carson Arkade, Caroline Bowling, RVN and Carly Rose Ratcliffe. This lineup crossed multiple genres, with some acts playing acoustic sets and some performing with a full band.

Rapper Carson Arkade performs on stage.

When the night was over, Arkade, Ratcliffe and Wilson went home as Match Records artists.

Each artist showcased their talent with five songs before the crowd voted for their favorites and Match’s A&R team deliberated the contest winners. 

Match looked to diversify its roster with the hopes of signing talent it didn’t already have on the label, Match Records president Liliana Manyara said.

This opportunity arises once a semester for talented artists to apply for Match Records. Beginning with an online application, the artists are chosen for an American Idol-esque live audition and then win a golden ticket to the final round. At the final round, which took place at Hop Springs, it is up to the crowd and the A&R team to choose the artists who are signed onto the label. 

Tucker Wilson sings onstage, strumming his guitar.

Wilson and Ratcliffe are both country acts, the first to be signed onto the label. Match currently has 13 artists in genres varying from Rock to singer-songwriter to rap and R&B, but country was a new addition for Match.

This is the start of becoming a more well-rounded label, Manyara said.  

Wilson focuses on an Americana sound inspired by Tyler Childers and Jason Isbell. He discovered a love for folk and Americana from the music he grew up with. His dad introduced him to Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead, sparking his inspiration.

Carly Rose Ratcliffe plays the guitar while performing on stage.

Ratcliffe found herself writing country songs in middle school and fell in love with the sound of bluegrass. 

“My favorite part of country music is the storytelling,” said Ratcliffe. 

The standout of the bunch is rapper Carson Arkade. Growing up in Connecticut, much further north than most of his peers, he was drawn to Match Records for the opportunity to connect with others in his field.

Arkade wants listeners to know how open-minded he is. While he found himself drawn to rap, he loves all music and live performances.

All of these musicians are honored to call themselves Match artists, and the future looks bright for the three young creatives to continue their journey as recording artists at MTSU.

Kerstie Wolaver is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.