Monday, September 16, 2024

Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked: Cage the Elephant returns to the stage after five-year hiatus 

Feature photo by Kerstie Wolaver

Story by Kerstie Wolaver

On Sept. 1, fans entered Ascend Amphitheater in droves, bedecked in maxi skirts and excessive jewelry, the audience dressed the part and seemed giddy with anticipation of the Nashville-based main act to come.  

Eager concertgoers crowded the merch tent and lounged on the lawn as rock duo Girl Tones took the stage, followed by Americana artist Willow Avalon, who careened the crowd in a completely different direction with her tranquil sound.

The openers didn’t end there, experimental indie-rock singer Bakar took the stage at 7:45 p.m., and Young the Giant ramped up the pre-show crowd with their 2014 hit “Mind Over Matter.” 

Following four diverse opening acts and an antsy intermission, Cage the Elephant finally took the stage at 9:30 p.m., opening the long-awaited set with “Broken Boy.”  

Frontman Matt Shultz rolled onto stage on a scooter with a broken foot, but not a broken spirit. Even with limited mobility, Shultz held the audience in the palm of his hand throughout the hour-and-a-half long set. 

Their newest album, “Neon Pill,” rose from the ashes after five years without touring, the band’s energy was incomparable for their return to Nashville.  

During the five-year break, Shultz faced a number of struggles and the band wasn’t making music or touring. Over the summer, though, the group made a short pilgrimage to Manchester, Tennessee for a long-awaited performance at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival.  

During an endearing moment, Schultz thanked the audience for sticking by him during the band’s hiatus. Then, he switched gears. 

The crowd thrashed through the band’s new title track “Neon Pill,” with the group powering through the set and capturing the audience more and more with each meaningful song. Shultz dedicated “Trouble” to his late father, leaving fans teary eyed, and moved straight into their high-powered, twangy classic, “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.” 

The set rounded out the group’s discography, with deep cuts stretching all the way back to their 2009 self-titled album, “Cage the Elephant.”  

Ending their set with “Sabretooth Tiger,” they exited the stage only long enough for the crowd to get riled up once more, then reappeared for a three-song encore stacked with classics, including “Shake Me Down,” “Cigarette Daydreams” and ending the night with “Come a Little Closer.” 

After a long night of cheers and tears, the Ascend Amphitheater crowd won’t forget the return of Cage the Elephant to the stage, and, hopefully, won’t have to wait another five years for Shultz and the gang to return. 

Kerstie Wolaver is a Reporter for MTSU Sidelines

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.