Winter Weather Dining Woes

This week MTSU experienced  unprecedented inclement weather closings, which have not only impacted classes, but also campus offices and services, including dining.

For the safety of their commuting employees, MTDining staffed only McCallie Dining Hall and the James Union Building cafeteria for limited hours during the closings. With the already limited dining options closing at 7 p.m., MTSU residents resorted to alternative food sources.

Jimmy John’s is among the few restaurants that continued delivering to campus despite the weather. One Jimmy John’s delivery driver, MTSU freshman Tyler Czap, got to experience the ups and downs of the job during the winter weather.

“(Delivering) sucks,” Czap said. “But people have been tipping really well. I have been making bank.”

Other restaurants, like Papa John’s, were more conservative with their deliveries. In order to lower the risk for their delivery drivers, the Papa John’s on Baird St. stayed open for deliveries, but temporarily suspended Flexbucks payment which lowered the number of deliveries to campus.

“I ordered my Papa John’s around 6 p.m. and they said it would be delivered at 6:45,” said Corlew resident Lance Egly. “Then 7 p.m. came around and I was like ‘Where’s my pizza?’ So I called Papa John’s and they said that they weren’t accepting Flexbucks. I can totally understand not wanting to make people drive in this, but I shouldn’t have been allowed to order it since they had no intentions on giving me my pizza.”

If you need an alternative to McCallie or the JUB during the MTSU closing but you don’t want to make a delivery driver go out, stick with the tried and true dorm-room delicacy, Ramen noodles.

For more campus updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines

To contact lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com