$9K in LSD, Cocaine, Mushrooms Seized on I-24 Before Bonnaroo

Sheriff’s deputies seized more than $9,000 worth of LSD, cocaine and other illegal drugs while patrolling Interstate 24 before the 2015 Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, according to a statement issued on the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page.

According to Lt. Kenneth Barrett, who supervises the office’s K-9 and Interstate Crime divisions, deputies confiscated 37 hits of LSD, almost an ounce of cocaine, illegal mushrooms and various prescription pills while patrolling the strip of interstate that leads to the festival’s entrances. K-9 units searched 40 vehicles, leading to seven arrests and 97 drug violation citations.

Sgt. Shawn Applegate said most of the drugs were intended for recreational use at the festival.

Some of the contraband had originally been obtained legally, officers said, as medicinal marijuana from California and hash oil from Colorado dispensaries were found. However, since marijuana remains illegal in Tennessee, citations were issued to those found in possession of the substances.

As deputies also pointed out, many of the seized drugs were sweetened for consumption. Cookies containing marijuana, sugar cubes containing LSD and banana and strawberry-flavored strains of marijuana were found.

Even though drugs are a big part of many festival-goers weekends, Bonnaroo stands squarely against drug use, citing its dangers to patrons’ health, and, of course, legality.

“If it’s illegal outside the festival, it’s illegal inside, too,” the festival’s safety policy states.

This year’s festival drew 80,000+ festival attendees to Great Stage Park in Manchester to see performances from Mumford & Sons, Billy Joel, deadmau5, Kendrick Lamar and more.

To see our full archive of Bonnaroo coverage, click here.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

For more Bonnaroo updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact News Editor Sarah Grace Taylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com 

Previous Robert Plant, Reggie Watts, Brandi Carlile rock final day of Bonnaroo
Next Vanderbilt Rape Trial Declared Mistrial, Vandenberg and Batey Released