Friday, May 3, 2024

Featured photo via Animeler.net

Story by Beth Summers

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

On Nov. 4, 2023, audiences shed tears as “Attack on Titan” came to an end—or did it?

The beloved anime series premiered in 2013 and swiftly became a favorite among fans. Despite the characters facing constant peril in a world plagued by giants, the show captivated the hearts of millions. The third part of the final season concluded in November 2023, drawing the attention of over 100,000 people in the first 24 hours and reaching three million viewers within the initial two weeks of its release.

Hajime Isayama, writer and creator of the manga series that inspired the show, worked closely with Wit Studio for the first three seasons and MAPPA for the final season to bring his story to life.

This dedication paid off with part one of the final season, “The Final Chapter: Special 1,” winning Best Score and Best Drama at The Crunchyroll Anime Awards 2024. Crunchyroll, the popular anime streaming app, hosts the awards every year. The most significant award “Attack on Titan” won was Anime of the Year in 2022.

Anime of the Year is a highly anticipated award featuring the most popular anime series competing for fans’ votes. With around 13 million subscribers using Crunchyroll, it’s estimated that around half of these subscribers participate in voting, making it a significant event in the anime community. Given the immense popularity surrounding the “Attack on Titan” franchise, the new adaptation of “Attack on Titan: Before the Fall” has the potential to reach similar achievements.

As viewers watched beloved characters meet their fate, fans were comforted with the hope they could enjoy the same captivating animation style in “Attack on Titan: Before the Fall.” The manga series features the origins of crucial weapons, such as the vertical maneuvering gear, and will provide fascinating insights into the world of “Attack on Titan.”

The plot centers around a boy named Kuklo, known as the titan’s son. His life begins under grim circumstances, as his mother is consumed by a titan while still pregnant with him. Miraculously, Kuklo survives after being regurgitated and is discovered by soldiers amidst the aftermath of the devastation. He then spent most of his life locked up until around the age of 18. People see him as a threat or object, but Kuklo wants to be free and show everyone that he is not the Titans’ son.

The manga, created by Satoshi Shiki, is a canonical prequel to Isayama’s main story. It is time for fans to see this story. The manga was first published in September 2013 in a monthly Shonen Sirius magazine. Then, Kodansha Comics obtained the license for the series and has been distributing it since March 2014.

Although Isayama didn’t write the manga, the story is fantastic and holds its own compared to the original anime. Who’s to say he wouldn’t help give the animation direction just because he didn’t write it?

If this manga were ever adopted into an animation series, it would bring new fans into the show and offer more for those who remain.

Beth Summers is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.