MTSU to host National Women’s History Month events

Photo from Flickr / United Nations Photo

MTSU will be hosting a series of events through March in observance of National Women’s History Month.

• This year’s theme of Women’s History Month is “Working to Form a More Perfect Union: Honoring Women in Public Service and Government.” Events will cover women’s issues such as effective networking, breaking down gender barriers and proper womanhood.
  • Through the entire month, an art exhibit entitled “Warriors with Words and Faith” will be on display in Todd Hall. The exhibit features Marion Coleman Peck, a journalist and government official who was one of the first Office of War Information editors to caption Holocaust photographs for newspapers in 1945.
  • Beginning March 1, MTSU faculty, staff and students are invited to conduct research on women and women’s issues, as well as guest blog for Albert Gore Research Center.
  • Students will have the opportunity to learn networking skills and more about the resources needed to become an effective leader during the “Network, Baby, One More Time” workshop taking place on Tuesday, March 15 from 2-3 p.m. in Student Union 220. There are only 30 slots available for this session. Students can call (615) 898-5725 to register.
  • A panel of two women will host “Women Leadership in the 21st Century” where they will share their stories as leaders of public, private and government sectors. Featured panelists include Lynda R. Williams, Deputy Assistant Director of Human Resources for the United States Secret Service, and Allison Greene-Sands, Deputy Chief of Strategic Initiatives, Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office for Department of Defense. This event takes place Thursday, March 17 from 2-3 p.m. in the Student Union Parliamentary Room.
  • The movie He Named Me Malala will be shown Monday, March 21 and Tuesday, March 22 at 6:00 p.m. in the Student Union Video Theater. This film follows the events of the Taliban’s attack on Pakistan through the eyes of schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai after she spoke out on girls’ rights to education.
  • The Third Annual Proper Tea will take place Saturday, March 26 from 10-1:30 p.m. in the Tom Jackson Building. Tickets are $17 and may be purchased here. This event will teach the skills of proper table etiquette and will also teach a lesson on womanhood and becoming a woman of substance.
  • To end the month, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will take place Wednesday, March 30 at 6:00 p.m. This event is intended to inform participants about rape, sexual assault and gender violence. The event includes free food and karaoke. The first 100 participants will receive a free T-shirt.

The full calendar of events can be found here.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com