MTSU professor William Yelverton wins national sprinting championship

James Chinn, William Yelverton, Don McGee and Ben James of the World Record 4x200-meter M55 team at the USA Track and Field National Championships.

By Jamie Cooley // Contributing Writer | Photo courtesy of MTSU News

William Yelverton teaches classical guitar at the MTSU School of Music and also has an impressive “track” record for sprinting.

After receiveing an “Age Group Athlete of the Year” award in December, Yelverton continued his success by winning the 400-meter national championship at the USA Track and Field Masters National Indoor Championships that was held in Albuquerque, New Mexico last month.

His 55.22 seconds sprint was the fastest indoor 400-meter time in the last eight years for his age group.

Yelverton led his team of Jim Chinn, Ben James and Don McGee to pass the record set by Great Britain in 2014.

“[I’m] happy to still be getting faster as I get older. Life is good,” Yelverton said in a release.

His personal record of 24.65 seconds in the 200-meter won him the bronze medal last year in the World Championships where he missed second place by only 1/100th of a second.

This 200-meter time leaves him ranked third fastest in the world for the M55 age group.

USA Track and Field is the national governing body for track and field, long-distance running and race walking in the United States. Learn more at www.usatf.org.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Police respond to burglary at Campus Crossings
Next Riley Delgado catalyst for Middle Tennessee offense