Middle Tennessee men’s golf finishes 11th in Linger Longer Invitational

Photo by Brent Beerends / MT Athletics

Following a tie for second last week, the Middle Tennessee men’s golf team followed up with an eleventh place finish this week, shooting ten-over for the tournament. The top three in the tournament were Baylor (-33), Virginia (-18) and Georgia (-11).

Byrd and Savoie shine bright spots in poor performance overall

It was a rough performance across all three days as the Blue Raiders failed to score lower than two-over in any round.  MT did have a couple bright spots in the rough, as two members of the team put forth good performances.

Marcus Byrd finished each of the three rounds under par, shooting five-under for the tournament. This was good enough to get him a tie for tenth on the individual leaderboard, Byrd’s fourth career top ten finish.

Joey Savoie finished the Invitational at one-under, good enough for 27th on the leaderboard. After shooting a 73 in round one and back-to-back 71s in rounds two and three, Savoie became the only other Blue Raider to finish under par.

The Blue Raiders will be back in action in the Mason Rudolph Championship on March 31 through April 2. The tournament, hosted by Vanderbilt University, will be played at the Vanderbilt Legends Club in Franklin, TN.

Follow MTSU Baseball beat writers Anthony Fiorella (@A_Fiorella74), Ryan Nixon (@RNixon32), and Stephen Smith (@StEvo_Shield) on Twitter for more coverage.