Anderson named TSWA Player of the Week

Brad Anderson breaks out a 23-yard run against Bowling Green on September 23, 2017 in Murfreesboro, TN(Darwin Moore/MTSU Sidelines).

Photo by Darwin Moore / MTSU Sidelines

After a standout performance against the Bowling Green Falcons, Middle Tennessee running back Brad Anderson has been named the Tennessee Sports Writers Association’s Player of the Week.

In his first career collegiate start, Anderson had one of the best all-around games of the season for the Blue Raiders. He ran the ball 16 times for 104 yards, giving MTSU their first viable option in the running game since the graduation of I’Tavius Mathers.

Anderson’s versatility was also on display, as he caught six passes for 98 yards. This included a crucial 64-yard catch-and-run touchdown from quarterback John Urzua.

This was a momentous play for Middle Tennessee, as it sent them into the locker room at halftime with a 21-10 lead that they would not relinquish in a 24-13 win.

With his big game, Anderson now holds the team-lead in rushing yards with 130. Anderson has been waiting for an opportunity this season, and he made sure to take complete advantage of this one.

“I’ve just been waiting for this opportunity, we have a lot of playmakers on this team,” Anderson said. “Being able to get that one opportunity I’ve been waiting for … it meant a lot to me.”

The Blue Raiders will need Anderson to continue running the ball as productively as he did against the Falcons if they are to have any chance at winning a conference championship this season.

Middle Tennessee will hit the road this weekend when they travel to Boca Raton, Florida, for a date with the Florida Atlantic Owls. Kick-off is set for 6 p.m.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Todd Art Hall features new exhibition 'ADD TO BAG'
Next Interior designer Lori Bell provides lecture on importance of design in healing environments at Oaklands Mansion