Janis Brickey Speaks on The Environment and Place

MTSU’s Honors College hosted a presentation from Janis Brickey on Monday afternoon at the Paul W. Martin Sr. Honors Building, the fourth in the semester-long lecture series on “the power of place.”

Brickey, an associate professor in Interior Design at MTSU, led a discussion on personal space, environment, and the personal memories that we connect to places.

Brickey used childhood memories as an example to explain how a location’s importance might be connected to more than one memory.

Her presentation contained several types of photos, including one of her father and a few from locally known areas. Brickey explained the significance of these photos by telling small stories.

“Symbolism is within impactful events and connects us to the place they happen,” said Brickey.

Photos of the New York Times Square and the Statue of Liberty illustrated her connection of spatial significance to personal identity.

According to Dr. Brickey, creating a space of one’s own starts with a purpose. Forming a personal space to have a place of privacy can be particularly helpful to students.

Dr. Brickey asked the audience to share memories of distinct places at the presentation’s conclusion. Several students shared their stories, and some elicited a few laughs.

The Power of Place Fall 2014 Lecture Series will continue with Brad Bartel’s Catalhoyuk: The Development of the World’s First Town on October 6th.

For more campus news follow MTSU Sidelines at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editors Max Smith and Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com