Twin Peaks to play The Stone Fox tonight

By Olivia Ladd, MTSU Sidelines Contributing Writer

Chicago garage rock band Twin Peaks will return to The Stone Fox in Nashville for a headlining show tonight.

The band recently released a second album, Wild Onion, in August of this year.

Musicians and music lovers alike began to take notice of the four-piece group after the sudden success of their first album, Sunken, sent them on the forefront of the underground rock scene.

Sunken just seemed to happen spontaneously,” guitarist Clay Frankel said in a phone interview on Saturday. “Now we’re a little bit older, play a little bit louder.

When writing Wild Onion, each member of the group worked individually then brought their ideas together to create it. The record’s genre varies song-to-song from surf rock to punk rock, forming a sound reminiscent of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys. Other influences the band cite as influences are The Kinks, Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, The Buzzcocks and Ne-Hi.

Frankel says their sound comes from an era  “where it was just kind of about honest songwriting and just saying what you feel and putting guitars over it.”

With their quick rise came an attention-grabbing set at the 2014 Pitchfork Music Festival. Frontman Cadien Lake James broke his leg on tour in New Orleans shortly before the festival and to accommodate his injury the entire band joined him on stage in wheelchairs.

“It was kind of like a solidarity thing,” Frankel said. “We all sat in wheelchairs so we wouldn’t look down on him and he wouldn’t feel inferior to us. We kind of just rolled around on stage and rammed into each other, it was a pretty good time.”

Twin Peaks have been touring in support of Wild Onion, including a stop in London before beginning their U.S. tour.

“The good [shows] all kind of blend together into a deafening roar,” Clay said of their many performances. “Our favorite show was at a place called Birthdays. It was sold out and there were so many people there. I didn’t know who any of them were or where the hell they came from, so it was a bit strange, but it was really fun.”

The self-proclaimed “happy band” is still humble and excited to be travelling and playing music in new places.

“Nashville is a beautiful city and we can’t wait to go there,” Frankel said.

Twin Peaks will be playing tonight at The Stone Fox in Nashville at 9 p.m. with Tweens and Nashville’s own Penicillin Baby.

Tickets for their upcoming tour, including their Nashville show are available on their website, twinpeaksdudes.com.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com