Monday, February 6, 2023

Students sign “It’s On Us” pledge to stop sexual assault

As part of the initiative launched in September by President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, MTSU students pledged in the “It’s On Us” campaign to end sexual assault on college campuses nationwide.

Donald Abels, Fraternity and Sorority Life Coordinator, said that 136 students pledged the following at a display in the Student Union:

To recognize that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.

To identify situations in which sexual assault may occur.

To intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given.

To create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.

After signing the pledge, students had their picture taken with an “It’s on Us” sign. The images were then shared on Twitter with the hashtag “#ItsOnUs.”

“Young men were challenged … to take a stand against sexual violence and work to stop it wherever it occurs,” Abels said. “On October 8, 2014, the Interfraternity Council at Middle Tennessee State University committed to take a stand against sexual assault by endorsing the ‘It’s On Us’ campaign.”

Abels called the campaign a drive to “get students talking” about what ” consent” really means.

“When fraternities and sororities come together and support a cause, they have the power to create real change, he said. “The FSL community saw a need and wanted to bring awareness to the MTSU student body.”