Middle Tennessee Baseball Holds on to Win

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The MTSU baseball  team notched their second-straight win to start the season against the Jacksonville Dolphins on Saturday.

The game started off with a bang in the first inning courtesy of a three-run homer from senior catcher Michael Adkins, his second of the year. Adkins has lead the way in the early going this season, hitting .556 to go along with eight runs batted in from the clean-up spot.

Senior right-handed starter Kooper Kessler (1-0) showed up in his first start of the year, going a career-best 5.2 innings and recording eight strikeouts. Kessler only allowed four hits from the Dolphins on Saturday, and his only run allowed came off a solo home run in the second inning. Kessler dominated the Dolphins, allowing .190 batting average against 24 batters and only surrendering three walks.

The Dolphins made a comeback in the seventh inning, tallying four runs in that inning off of sophomore right-hander Will Small.

The Blue Raiders slammed the door in the eighth and ninth innings with relievers junior Garrett Ring and senior lefty Nathan Foriest.

Senior shortstop Dustin Delgado and junior center fielder Ronnie Jebavy contributed two hits each. This extended Jebavy’s hit streak to seven games.

Senior Preseason All C-USA left fielder Jared Allen had a forgettable day overall with four strikeouts in five at bats, but he did collect an RBI double in the sixth inning.

Jacksonville’s starter Josh Baker (0-1) was tagged for the loss, allowing three earned runs and six total runs in a short 2.1 inning debut. The Dolphins accounted for three errors on defense, all of which scored during Baker’s start.

The Blue Raider offense provided 12 total hits and eight runs on Saturday, but also left eight men on base, while Jacksonville left 10 runners on base.

Middle Tennessee plays for the sweep of Jacksonville on Sunday at noon.