MTSU Softball Use Five-Run Seventh to Beat NM State

By Rickey Fuquay, Jr.//Contributing Writer

LAS CRUCES, N.M. – Middle Tennessee (10-8, 0-3 C-USA) used a five-run seventh inning to cap off a dramatic 6-5 win over New Mexico State Tuesday at New Mexico State Softball Complex to end the Aggies 10-game winning streak.

Junior right fielder Kiarra Freeman led the way with three hits in four at-bats with two RBIs. Also in the hit column was freshman center fielder Cor’Nisha Birdsong, sophomore infielder Austyn Whaley and freshman catcher Morgan Harris, who each had a pair of hits with a combined three RBI between all of them.

Junior infielders Carlie Jenkins and Megan Griffith and sophomore first baseman Lauren Riddell each had one hit. Griffith had an RBI in the game.

The Aztecs (18-8) struck first with a two-run homer to center field by junior infielder Fiana Finau, but the Blue Raiders answered right back with a RBI single by Freeman to pull to within one run heading to the bottom of the second inning.

The Aztecs responded with a three-run outburst to take a 4-1 advantage heading to the top of the fourth inning. It seemed like the game was over, but MTSU refused to quit.

After struggling to get the offense going in the next three innings, the Blue Raiders stormed back in the top of the seventh inning and put up five runs on the board to take the lead, and eventually hang on for the 6-5 victory over the Aztecs.

Senior pitcher Kelci Cheney improved to 6-5 on the year. She allowed no runs on one hit in two innings of work. Senior pitcher Caitlin McClure got the start in the game and allowed four runs on four hits, recording four walks and one strikeout in one and two-thirds inning of work.

Sophomore pitcher Megan Chocallo came in from the bullpen and allowed one run on four hits in three and one-thirds inning on the mound.

Junior pitcher Makayla McAdams fell to 3-2 on the year. She allowed five runs on six hits, walking three in four and two-thirds inning of work.

Junior pitcher Karysta Donisthorpe got the start for the Aztecs. She allowed one run on four hits, walking two and striking out two in two innings of work. Freshman pitcher Dallas McBride came in from the bullpen and gave up no runs on two hits in one-third of an inning.

The Blue Raiders will look to carry the momentum when they host Florida International in a three-game series starting Saturday with a doubleheader slated for 2 p.m. CST.