Blue Raiders Come Up Short Against No. 19 FAU

By Rickey Fuquay, Jr.//Contributing Writer

BOCA RATON, Fla. – Middle Tennessee (11-8, 3-1 C-USA) could not get any offense going down the stretch, as it managed just one hit in the last five innings en route to a 4-2 loss to 19th-ranked Florida Atlantic.

Junior outfielder Ronnie Jebavy and senior infielder Jake Ingold both led the way on offense with 2-for-4 nights. Senior infielder Dustin Delgado went 1-of-4 for the night, while Senior shortstop Austin Bryant went 1-for-4 with a RBI. Sophomore outfielder Brad Jarreau notched the other RBI for the Blue Raiders on a groundout in the third inning. Sophomore first baseman Kevin Dupree also recorded a hit on three at-bats.

Things got off to good start early for the Blue Raiders as they took an early 2-0 advantage heading to the home half of the four inning thanks to a RBI single by Bryant. However, the Owls tallied two runs in the bottom of the fifth and sixth innings to eventually hang on for a 4-2 win over the Blue Raiders.

Senior pitcher Johnathan Frebis fell to 3-2 on the year. He threw six innings, giving up four runs on nine hits, walking three and striking out four.

The bullpen was very efficient Friday. Senior pitcher Kooper Kessler came in from the bullpen and allowed no runs on no hits in one inning of relief, while freshman pitcher Blake Stansberry came in and produced the same result in the eighth inning.

Riley Monkman improved to 5-1 on the year for FAU, allowing no runs on no hits in three and two-thirds innings of relief. He also struck out nine.

Kyle Miller got the start for the Owls (20-3, 4-0 C-USA). He was chased after four and one-thirds innings of seven-hit, two-run baseball, receiving a no decision for the game. He also tallied six strikeouts. Bo Logan recorded his fourth save of the year, striking out the side in the ninth for FAU.

The Blue Raiders will look to tie the series up on Saturday when the two teams face off again at FAU Baseball Stadium. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. CST.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.