Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Long-Standing MTSU Criminal Justice Professor Dies

Middle Tennessee State University professor Dr. Dennis Powell, 68, died Sunday, according to the obituary in the Daily News Journal.

Dr. Powell was a Criminal Justice professor of 36 years at MTSU. Powell is survived by his wife, Bonnie Powell; children, Matthew Powell and wife Amanda of Murfreesboro, Amanda O’Gwynn of Murfreesboro, Terra Lane and husband Chad of Murfreesboro; grandchildren, Kamryn, Taylor, Kobi, Gracie, Olivia, and of course his students and alumni.

One of Powell’s past students, Chris Haynes, wrote, “This man made me excited to go to class when I was at MTSU. He made a lasting impression on me and those talks before and after class made me want to be a good and fair Police Officer. Dr. Powell, 99.9% of the things you told me about this job came true. Sir you were spot on and I forever will be grateful for the wisdom and guidance you shared with me,” after Dr. Powell’s death.

“I would definitely say he was a man that cared about education and he was willing to work with you as long as you were willing to work with him,” MTSU criminal justice sophomore Jord’n Bay said. “He also really supported community by making students interact with each other and encouraging group discussion.”

For more campus news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines.

To contact news editor Sarah Grace Taylor email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.